Sunday, October 9, 2016

(Not-So-Much) In My Kitchen October 2016


Late Night Dessert - hospital style

Are you curious about events in other kitchens? The monthly collection of In My Kitchen (IMK) posts offers an intriguing peek into cooking, newly-acquired treasures, intriguing products, kitchen gadgets old and new, dining events, and more; all this via an international gathering of cooks from around the globe. Begun ages ago by Celia at figjamandlimecordial, the IMK roundup is now hosted by Lizzy at bizzylizzysgoodthings. Click on the links in the right-hand column of Lizzy's blog to visit some or all of this month's participants. There were 24 when I last checked, and IF I hurry I might finish this post before the Oct.10 deadline and be participant number 25! (Instead of finishing this not-quite IMK post, I keep reading everyone else's.)    


September saw a lot of activity, but not from me and not in my kitchen. I spent the first two weeks in the hospital and the rest of the month resting or clomping around the house using crutches or a walker. My job was to recover and rehab while RL handled the multitude of caregiver and butler duties. The man deserves a medal for heroic effort and good nature! 

Butler at work!
Hilary gets special thanks for running errands, doing in-house projects, brightening up the kitchen with her smile and market bouquets, AND sharing treats from her travels.

Nut Brittle & Toffee - we sampled it so quickly none remained for a photo!


The freezer In My Kitchen held a variety of homemade soups and chili, plus pork with black beans and chicken enchiladas, products of earlier efforts. RL had a few meal options during my hospital stay, when he didn't dine with me at UWMC (link).




Enchiladas from the freezer stash

Hospital food? does that phrase call up visions of rubbery eggs, watery tasteless soups and worse? Well, erase those outdated memories of boring, bland hospital food. The University of Washington Medical Center's kitchen kept me very well-fed as my appetite recovered after surgery. Soups, stir frys, pasta, entree salads, regional favorites, sandwiches and more were available from 6:30am to 9:30pm. Two weeks were not enough to sample all of the tempting items on the multi-page menu, especially not when I kept returning to my SW favorites!


UWMC Breakfast Burrito
UWMC Taco Salad with toppings
UWMC Bean & Cheese Enchiladas

While not an avid cooking enthusiast, RL has been a rock star in the kitchen lately, whipping out tasty fruit smoothies, Spanish omelettes, grilled chops and veggies, plus countless other stovetop treats. Though totally spoiled with meals on demand, I am eager to return to official cook status. The pile of library books stacked on my nightstand runs heavily to newly published cookbooks. As I grow more comfortable mobilating around, flipping fry pans and the like while on crutches or a walker, I'll be ready to spend more time In My Kitchen. Check back soon to see what's cooking. 

Meanwhile have fun exploring the many links at BizzyLizzysGoodThings.  
         

18 comments:

  1. Oh no, sorry to hear that you are on crutches! I remember when I broke my foot a couple of years ago, I was on a knee scooter for ages! Thank you for the peek into your world, and for the wonderful, warm shout out xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm growing more mobile daily so should be tearing around the kitchen soon... just NOT soon enough! No patience here!

      Delete
  2. I have never participated in IMK but did so for the first time this month so I am enjoying peeking into everyone's kitchens. I love the enchiladas in your freezer. I do a lot of freezing for my son who lives and works away from home. Enchiladas are a good idea. Hope you are better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greetings, Marcellina. Freezing ahead and sharing has become a regular routine over the years. Your Syrupy Almond Cookies look SO amazingly good that they would never make it to the freezer, or,be shared too widely. Yum!

      Delete
  3. Amazing that a hospital has decided that tasty food is important to recovering patients -- something ordinary people knew for centuries! Your photos look good, and I hope the fact that you have the energy to take them shows that you'll make a quick recovery.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, thanks for the cheery recovery wishes. I'm SO anxious to be "out and about".

      Delete
  4. Sorry to hear you've been unwell. I've spent a long stint in hospital and the food was never as good as your pictures. I got very sick of ham & cheese sandwiches:D I love all your freezer meals. Reminds me I need to restock my freezer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tis the season for big batch cooking to restock the freezer; Fall weather calls for soups and sauces, chili and stews and the like. Sweets never seem to make it beyond the countertop before they disappear!

      Delete
  5. Amazing looking food for a hospital! Get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing indeed - but not tempted to return for additional service. (grin)

      Delete
  6. I hope you're ok Dee and it wasn't anything too serious!? Hubby deserves lots of kisses & cuddles for being such a helper :) It's wonderful to have meals ready in the freezer, it makes it so easy for our husbands to put in the oven - I did that a couple of years ago for my hubby when I worked at the tennis. Hope you're feeling better & rest up - be kind to yourself. See you next month xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the good wishes, Nicole. It's been a challenging year of treatment and surgeries, but a posse of supportive friends and a mostly positive outlook helped. Now it's time to get moving again, in and out of the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dee, you're the first person I ever knew to photograph hospital food. :) (It looked great!) Menus and selection have come a long way, thankfully. Glad to hear you're on the mend, and wishing you a speedy recovery. Such kind support. Blessings, all! Hope you're back in your kitchen without added "gadgets" (of the non-kitchen sort) soon, xo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, thanks for visiting and for the good wishes. Yes, I am indeed blessed with wonderfully supportive friends and relatives.

      Delete
  9. I hope you are feeling all better now or soon at least I can't believe that hospital food. it's amazing Looks almost good enough to eat :). I don't think our hospitals here Have such good food. All the best for a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I AM feeling better each week Sherry, thanks for the good wishes and the visit.

      Delete

I love to read your comments so please leave a friendly note. Comments are moderated so it may take a while to appear.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...