Thursday, October 5, 2017

Summer 2017 IMK Notes



In and Out of My Kitchen...

Summer 2017 has been memorable for Seattle's record-breaking stretch of hot, dry weather; an incredible number of horrific wildfires that torched forest lands in western US and Canada; throat-irritating smoke and ash from those same fires that filled the air for weeks, transforming both sun and moon into brilliant red/orange orbs; and the fleeting thrill of a rare total solar eclipse. Life in my kitchen tended toward the unpredictable as well, but we're back on track for a calmer Autumn. 



Foodwise, we reveled in the abundance of produce. Our three sunloving Asian pear trees produced a record crop, a challenging mixed blessing since so many ripen at once. I've tried to be magnanimous and forgive the marauding raccoons and squirrels who take one big bite, just one! out of dozens of pears. This year there was more than enough fruit to share.


Summer stone fruits, melons, blueberries, and mint make my tastebuds sing. Mint is a total pest, growing like a weed in a sideyard bed, but it's so aromatic that it is worth the effort to keep it in check. Think more fruit salads, more mojitos...




 Vine-ripened tomatoes are the gold standard flavorwise, and 2017 produced a bumper crop locally. Now I wish I had put in a few plants, but the neighborhood markets kept us well supplied. Tomatoes plain, tomatoes sauced, tomatoes in soup, tomatoes in salads... yes!




Pastry hand pies were not my thing, no matter how I tried, so I moved on and worked instead with pizza dough to bake calzone and stromboli. Mushrooms, kale, mozzarella, basil, garlic and walnuts combined for the latest filling. I ate mine plain, but RL preferred his share dunked in spicy red sauce.   



After sorting through my kitchen towel drawer, reluctantly tossing some threadbare favorites, I treated myself to some replacements. The first two were plain and serviceable, my favorite color but nothing special. More remarkable is the lack of any new kitchen gadgets. Such restraint!




In and Out of My Galley...

Tea towels plus matching pot holders caught my eye at Wei Wai Kum House of Treasures, a First Nation store in Campbell River, BC. I carried these treasures south after the trip, thinking they might make attractive gifts for friends. They would, but I decided to keep them for myself and will transport them back to the boat for galley use.





During her week aboard niece Slone helped me organize galley cabinets and pantry, discarding items past their pull date or otherwise questionable. No effort required to deal with the fridge - it had stopped chilling and was empty. We went old school during the trip and used two styrofoam coolers instead. Two freezer drawers and a separate icemaker still functioned so we froze ice blocks to rotate in and out of the coolers on the back deck. It worked, though Slone made countless trips daily in and out to the coolers. Our preplanned menu shifted a bit as we focused first on fresh greens etc., using them while they were stilll crisp. 


Photo: Slone's Loaded Chicken Taco Salad
Our several restaurant outings were all about seafood. The Bouillabaise at the Pt. Roberts, WA Compass Rose Bar & Grill was bowl-licking good... so good I forgot to take photos. I wish they sold cartons of the base sauce, it was that good. Trollers Fish & Chips on the dock in Nanaimo, B.C.'s busy harbor failed to live up to its advertised "Best in town" claim. Overbreaded and overcooked fish proved disappointing. Again, no photos. Ah, but the totally terrific dinner at Campbell River, B.C.'s Riptide Marine Pub was everything we could hope for; very fresh seafood that was well-prepared, a knowledgeable and efficient waitstaff, plus an upbeat vibe. This time I remembered photos.      

Photo: My Togarashi Tuna Plate at the Riptide Marine Pub
Photo: RL's Seafood Linguini at the Riptide Marine Pub
Photo: Slone's Seafood Puttanesca Fettuccini at the Riptide Marine Pub
And then the weather changed; Fall was suddenly in the air if barely on the calendar. The rainbow below hints at good things to come. I'm ready.




Linked to a post at Sherry's Pickings highlighting the happenings in other kitchens around the world. Pop over to meet some interesting cooks, find tempting new recipes and enjoy tales of life, travel and so much more.

12 comments:

  1. The native American northwest motifs on your linens are stunning. You seem to thrive on the challenges of a tiny boat kitchen.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, I do love our time afloat, and am spoiled with a galley that is MUCH larger the one in my first apartment. That said, I don't relish any more appliance challenges - did I mention the oven has just gone wonky?!

      Delete
  2. Wow all that abundant produce Dee. Looks delicious. I really like the First Nation goodies such a glorious colour too. We are having a hot Spring so heaven knows what summer will be like Your little pies look gorgeous. I could eat one right now:). Thanks for joining in this month on IMK, and hope to see you next month. Cheers S x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cooler damp Fall weather is a treat this week; hope your Spring & Summer are moderate weather wise. I'd love to share a pie & a visit some day, come on by, Sherry.

      Delete
  3. Your fresh produce pictures are beautiful. It sounds like you've had a taxing summer weather wise - I too hope you have a calmer autumn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, here's to a calmer Fall! Thanks for dropping by, Kari.

      Delete
  4. What a gorgeous harvest and so much colour. Your words 'I've tried to be magnanimous and forgive the marauding raccoons and squirrels who take one big bite, just one! out of dozens of pears' tickled me that I actually chuckled out loud very unlike me. I like the look of all your cooked dishes and even though i do not eat meat or fish the tograshi tuna has me curious as a couple of months back i picked up some tograshi blend and have been unsure how to use it in veg dishes. Liking the colours of your teatowels which reminds me i need to replace some of mine too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Togarashi is a tasty condiment to sprinkle on potato fries, to flavor an aioli dip for fresh or steamed vegetables, or add a flavor pop to a mixed noodle or rice bowl. Enjoy playing with the spicy mix.

      Delete
  5. Dee, I'm sorry you've had to endure such devastation trying to live a peaceful life. Looks like you're winning though -- wonderful sunset and rainbow pics! I also LOVED your calzone filling "combo" and hope I can twist your arm (and your niece's) into sharing your swoon-worthy recipes. Glad you finally happened upon a restaurant that lived up to its rep -- thanks for the mouthwatering photos. I'm admiring your tea towels and darling cobalt blue loon, too. (Minnesota state bird...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always buy things I love as gifts for friends, and I too sometimes keep them. It's hard to manage without the convenience of a fridge but it seems you managed well. You calzone sound wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  7. What great produce Dee, you must be pleased that you got to eat some of your Nashi pears (it's what we call them here in Australia). Those mushroom and kale pies and pasties look amazing! I'm not a kale girl but they do look delicious :) xx
    https://missfoodfairy.com/2017/10/10/in-my-kitchen-october-2017/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your pot holders are beautiful.

    http://goodfoodweek.com.au/2017/10/life-whats-kitchen-10/

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments so please leave a friendly note. Comments are moderated so it may take a while to appear.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...